You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘fortnight before’ category.
Search the Archives
Posts Often Visited
Posts Recently Added
Comments Recently Made
|Day 5: #Hashtags… on The hashtag’s not ruinin…|
|pdadme on On “off of”|
|Brad Vickery on “Done” and “…|
|Jasmine on “Done” and “…|
|Til on “Done” and “…|
The Monthly Archives
Posts People Like
- Facebook grammar: "unlike" is valid
- Singular "they" and the many reasons why it's correct
- The seductive fear that you're using words wrong
- Til v. till v. 'til v. until
- National Grammar Day 2013: Ten More Grammar Myths, Debunked
- The subjunctive might be dying, if you ignore where it's going strong
- So "twerk" is in a dictionary. What's that mean?
- Formal language isn't the ideal
- On "off of"
About The Blog
I'm Gabe Doyle, currently a postdoctoral scholar in the Language and Cognition Lab at Stanford University. Before that, I got a doctorate in linguistics from UC San Diego and a bachelor's in math from Princeton.
In my research, I look at how humans manage one of their greatest learning achievements: the acquisition of language. I build computational models of how people can learn language with cognitively-general processes and as few presuppositions as possible. Currently, I'm working on models for acquiring phonology and other constraint-based aspects of cognition.
I also examine how we can use large electronic resources, such as Twitter, to learn about how we speak to each other. Some of my recent work uses Twitter to map dialect regions in the United States.
- RT @KoryStamper: Just between gu and me, stupid. http://t.co/RWdWOlU41B 2 years ago
- RT @TeaAnd_OrCoffee: There are worse injustices, but: I'm still surprised when researchers advertise how little they pay their MTurkers (eg… 2 years ago
- RT @mcxfrank: Comments on reproducibility in developmental science: new post babieslearninglanguage.blogspot.com/2014/11/commen… 2 years ago
- RT @TeaAnd_OrCoffee: Guest @LanguageLog post on disfluencies like "uh" and "um" languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=15718 For ASL, see @kemmorey1 lab poster: … 2 years ago