You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘fortnight before’ category.
Search the Archives
Posts Often Visited
Posts Recently Added
Comments Recently Made
|JH Dreisdale on On “off of”|
|Everyone their own e… on Singular “they” an…|
|John Hamilton on All of what sudden?|
|Titus on “Done” and “…|
|José Manuel Campos N… on Poisonous or venomous?|
The Monthly Archives
Posts People Like
- Facebook grammar: "unlike" is valid
- Singular "they" and the many reasons why it's correct
- National Grammar Day 2013: Ten More Grammar Myths, Debunked
- Til v. till v. 'til v. until
- The subjunctive might be dying, if you ignore where it's going strong
- The seductive fear that you're using words wrong
- So "twerk" is in a dictionary. What's that mean?
- Formal language isn't the ideal
- Getting lectured by people who don't know English
About The Blog
I'm Gabe Doyle, a graduate student/doctoral candidate in Linguistics at UC San Diego. I have a Bachelor's in math from Princeton and a Master's in linguistics from UCSD.
In my research, I look at how humans manage one of their greatest learning achievements: the acquisition of language. I build computational models of how people can learn language with cognitively-general processes and as few presuppositions as possible.
I focus on learning problems that have traditionally been viewed as difficult, such as combining multiple information sources or learning without negative data or ungrammatical examples. My dissertation models how children can use multiple cues to segment words from child-directed speech, and how phonological constraints can be inferred based on what children do and don't hear adults say.
- Here's a plausible-sounding explanation from the caption-location dichotomy: tex.stackexchange.com/a/3253 16 hours ago
- @janetbyronander The separation of figures is an interesting point. I often forget how different they are in the layout process. 16 hours ago
- Editors (and others): Anyone know where the "captions above tables but below figures" guideline comes from? Seen it in a few places now. 17 hours ago
- It's a rainy morning, and I'm so not-awake that I typed "more then a week" in an email and decided it would be too much effort to fix it. 1 week ago