You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘fortnight before’ category.
Search the Archives
Posts Often Visited
Posts Recently Added
Comments Recently Made
|Everybody put down t… on If everyone says it, it can…|
|Deiter on “Done” and “…|
|Janusz D. on Singular “they” an…|
|seedydeedee on Til v. till v. ’til v.…|
|Rod Griffiths on Comma splices: historical and…|
The Monthly Archives
Posts People Like
- Facebook grammar: "unlike" is valid
- National Grammar Day 2013: Ten More Grammar Myths, Debunked
- Singular "they" and the many reasons why it's correct
- Til v. till v. 'til v. until
- The subjunctive might be dying, if you ignore where it's going strong
- The seductive fear that you're using words wrong
- So "twerk" is in a dictionary. What's that mean?
- Getting lectured by people who don't know English
- Formal language isn't the ideal
About The Blog
I'm Gabe Doyle, a graduate student/doctoral candidate in Linguistics at UC San Diego. I have a Bachelor's in math from Princeton and a Master's in linguistics from UCSD.
In my research, I look at how humans manage one of their greatest learning achievements: the acquisition of language. I build computational models of how people can learn language with cognitively-general processes and as few presuppositions as possible.
I focus on learning problems that have traditionally been viewed as difficult, such as combining multiple information sources or learning without negative data or ungrammatical examples. My dissertation models how children can use multiple cues to segment words from child-directed speech, and how phonological constraints can be inferred based on what children do and don't hear adults say.
- Late night alone in the lab, and I generated this surprisingly creepy graph. http://t.co/BdE2iubDAG 1 month ago
- RT @sesquiotic: @BillDavisWords @MGrammar Now let's sleep furiously together. 2 months ago
- RT @BillDavisWords: @MGrammar Roses are red. Violets are blue. Green ideas are colorless. And I love you. #LinguisticValentines 2 months ago
- Are we a diphthong? Because I couldn't stand to take a hiatus from you. #LinguisticValentines 2 months ago