You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘fortnight before’ category.
Search the Archives
Posts Often Visited
Posts Recently Added
Comments Recently Made
|kim on None is, none are: Grammar acc…|
|Rich on None is, none are: Grammar acc…|
|LV on None is, none are: Grammar acc…|
|brouhahamama on Is it dumb to say “…|
|Chris Niswander on Singular “they” an…|
The Monthly Archives
Posts People Like
- Facebook grammar: "unlike" is valid
- National Grammar Day 2013: Ten More Grammar Myths, Debunked
- The subjunctive might be dying, if you ignore where it's going strong
- Til v. till v. 'til v. until
- Singular "they" and the many reasons why it's correct
- Getting lectured by people who don't know English
- Misuses of "myself" and "yourself"... from 1840.
- Will Get Fooled Again
- Formal language isn't the ideal
- How dare you learn a second language imperfectly!
I'm Gabe Doyle, a graduate student/doctoral candidate in Linguistics at UC San Diego. I have a Bachelor's in math from Princeton and a Master's in linguistics from UCSD.
In my research, I try to figure out how people choose among the various ways they can express a given thought in words. My dissertation models how children learn to use multiple cues to segment words from child-directed speech.
About The Blog
- RT @Bro_Pair: One of my favorite lines about a writer is about Raymond Chandler: "He wrote as if pain hurt and life mattered." So did Micha… 15 hours ago
- And if you can't make it, you can always read the accompanying paper: idiom.ucsd.edu/~gdoyle/papers… (Warning, it's heavily computational.) 1 week ago
- Hey, I'm giving a talk at #NAACL2013, on combining cues in word segmentation acquisition. Session M1c, 11:55am. Hope to see you there! 1 week ago
- RT @AaronBurdette: Congrats to @WesternSouthern for running abused women out of town and boosting property values up up UP! http://t.co/hdz… 1 month ago